Just as the Huffington Post predicted for the Caribana parade, millions of people lined up along Lakeshore Blvd to watch all the masqueraders party to the hottest soca tunes straight out of Trinidad and Tobago (T&T). For three weeks straight (during July and August), Caribbean peoples—from T&T to Jamaica to the Dominican Republic—party non stop.
But if you think soca and dancehall are only hot during Caribana, then clearly you’ve never seen how a fete or bashment really goes down. Toronto is home to one of the largest populations of Caribbean peoples outside of the Caribbean itself. The city is rife with great parties the rest of the year, when the crowds aren’t so intense. But just enough to ensure you have enough space to wine all night long.
(Not sure what to expect? Check out YouTube to see a good fete or bashment.)
Here are the top 5 DJs soca and dancehall lovers party with in T.Dot:
5. Soca Sweetness delivers, whether you’re looking for raunchy or classic soca tunes. He was the 2010 & 2011 Stylus Canada Soca DJ of the Year, and is the creator of some of Canada’s biggest soca parties. The next event DJ Soca Sweetness will spinning is Slow Wine at the Guvernment.
4. Miss Boom is the no. 1 female soca/chutney DJ in Canada, and has been on the scene since 2004. She even has podcasts and mixes on her site that you can groove to. She also spins reggae, dancehall and hip hop, along with many other genres. Her next event will be at the Lifestyle Expo (HeattheStreetTour.com) on August 25.
3. DJ Whitebwoy has a loyal following and can be seen spinning at the hottest dancehall/soca parties. He’ll be spinning at the 5th Annual Blackout this Labour Day Weekend at the Guvernment (Friday, August 29).
2. Dr. Jay de Soca Prince has spent 25 years on the soca and calypso scene, even hosting the “Soca Therapy” radio show on FLOW 93.5 for 10 years. He’s played throughout Canada and the US, landing at Miami Carnival. His next “Soca Therapy” event will take place Friday, August 29 at “The Clinic” (Luxy Nightclub downtown).
1. D’Enforcas are one of the hitmakers behind famous soca artist Kerwin DuBois and hosts of “The Soca Groove” on 98.7FM. They’ve toured throughout North America, Europe and the Caribbean, so they’re no strangers to spinning at the hottest soca parties in the world. And as 2012 Stylus Awards Soca DJ of the Year, making them Toronto’s resident soca DJs. They will DJ at “Reggae vs Soca” on Sunday, August 31 at Safari Lounge.